Monday 9 August 2010

There, I said it..I don't like wearing hearing aids

I've had these moments of epiphany, where I can hear conversation very well and vow to always wear and clean and look after my hearing aids as long as we both shall live.

Then I have these moments- like the last few days- where I can't find new batteries, and I'm at home watching TV and doing chores, so I don't wear them. I put one in (before discovering I needed another battery) and turned it on, but all it did was make the TV louder and fill the room with a 'shhhhhh' of white noise. I don't think that's what hearing people hear- a constant fshhhhhhh in 'silence'.

Yes, I lipread the TV. My hearing aids make my ears itch, and people are constantly talking loudly but I don't understand it if they're not talking to me, or if I do it's because they're so loud I get a headache. Traffic is loud, and I don't need to hear it because I look where I'm going. Birds are loud too. My aided test results show- if I can remember correctly- everything was 30db or above (audio said 30 is normal) except the high frequency which was 60db. We agreed to lower it all a little, and voila, cutlery clinking doesn't make me want to rip my skin off anymore. She said if it's still too much we can turn off the high frequency altogether as I'm not getting much assistance at 60db. It's like walking a tightrope and getting to choose which side- hearing or hard of hearing- and to be brutally honest I don't like this loud world; my world feels 'just right' except that people mumble and don't speak properly. I guess my brain's still not used to it all; I have had only a few years of digital aids and not worn them for more than a few months at a time. I wore my analogues as little as possible until 16 then not at all.

1 comment:

  1. I know a good brand of batteries I use!
    I currently use powerone since they last a few week before I hear the low battery tone
    and I get those from my audiologist's office
    duracell and engerizer is a good one too
    I'm an orange BTW,(size 13)

    ReplyDelete